Sheppey Court, situated in Halfway Road, today consists of the original building from the 19th Century and a modern extension built in the early 1960’s. The original house is two storeys in stucco with a hipped welsh slate roof, the windows had hung sashes with glazing bars, there is a shallow porch in antis to right and a plain Greek revival doorcase. Sir Edward Banks built the original building, with materials bought from the Mayor of Queenborough who was in the process of demolishing a large house in the High Street in preparation of constructing a modern house for himself. Sheppey Court was built on the site of Red House Farm, the house was to be the family home and also had a farm on site, some of these building were taken over by the dairy next door and still remain. Sir Edwards’s son Delamark Banks lived in the house, whilst there he had a racetrack built on the adjacent marshes. The land also once belonged to the Chalk family who were butchers, farmers and business men and later records show that in 1851 a Mr Thomas Coveney Reed lived at Sheppey Court, he was a corn factor and hoyman. The locally well known Mr Copland bought the house and land in 1857 and rented the site to Lady Dora Greet in 1880. The family still held the deeds until it was recently sold. There was once a private Cchapel to the rear of the grounds for use of family worship.
The building was later adapted as a residential home for the elderly and consisted of eight one bedroom flats, the home was opened in 1992 and had a communal laundry, lounge and garden.
Early proposals were opposed with The Historic Buildings Committee of the Council for the Protection of Rural England, in it's capacity as agent for the Council for British Archeology, who stated:
There is no justification for rebuilding block A (the block attached to the listed building). It was unfortunate that the original 1960's building was built on as an extension, and there is certainly no need to repeat that ill-judged precedent.The use of varied new finishes (timber cladding, brick, coloured glass etc) on the new blocks would be at odds with the listed building. A white covered plain finish should be used.
The building now stands derelict with much damage to the inside. A planning application has been accepted to convert the original listed building to apartments with the 1960’s addition demolished and replaced by a new block, also for a three-storey building to be constructed at the northern boundary with a view of sixteen residential units being available. The shed at the rear of the building is to be converted into a secure cycle store.