As Sheerness Dockyard grew in size and importance difficulties in undertaking day to day work became difficult due to the badly laid out buildings, to remedy this it was decided that the dockyard was to be redesigned and John Rennie was called in to survey the dockyard and present a new design giving the workers more space. The first piles were driven into the ground on 23rd December 1813 and 10 years later the dockyard was finally re-opened by the Duke of Clarence. One building that was constructed as a result of this survey was the captain-Superintendents House, also known as Dockyard House. The building of this house, Dockyard Terrace and the Admiral’s House, in 1827, were contracted out to Joliffe and Banks, Sir Edward Banks’ company. It is thought that George Ledwell-Taylor, architect to the Navy Board was involved in the design of this building.
The house is of two storeys with attic and basement and constructed out of yellow bricks. The basement has flag stone flooring; the ground floor has an original curved staircase with mahogany hand rail and other original features.
After the closure of the Royal Naval Dockyard the building became the main offices of Peel Ports, some modernisation was needed and a separate staircase was installed on the opposite side of the original.
The main offices of the Port were eventually moved out of this building and it gradually deteriorated until becoming listed on English Heritage’s At Risk Register, the owner attempted to get planning permission to convert the building into flats along with newly built flats nearby but the planning consent was refused. After a long battle the Spitfields Building Trust bought the property, with others, in the bid to restore it and bring it back into use.
The building is currently going through restoration and is Grade II* listed, the restoration is due to be completed late in 2013.