The Royal Fountain Hotel

The Royal Fountain Hotel was constructed in the early 1800’s, it is a red brick, three storey building with attic rooms. It is rumoured that Lord Nelson stayed here one night before sailing out of the nearby Dockyard. The building has tall bay windows that were presumably the best rooms of the hotel with the windows giving a good view of the pier, dockyard and the River Medway. The windows in the rest of the building are sash windows however the ground floor windows were originally shop windows. Some of the higher windows have been bricked up, possibly due to Window Tax being enforced. At the rear of the building is another block however this block is part brick and part weather-boarded and is believed to have been built around 1800. This block is two-storeys high. Another building that adjoins the Inn is a building built by Shepherd Neame and Co, the wine and spirit merchants, in 1866. It is a two storey building constructed of red brick in Flemish bond with an archway allowing access into the rear courtyard.

The Royal Fountain Hotel is a listed building.

Designed & built by - Kevin Ali